I teach art to High School students. Here are a few things I wish someone had told me twenty years ago:
1. Leave room in the lesson plan for the student (and God)
Q: What is more important-
Seeing my goals and objectives achieved or
seeing the student realize that their voice is valid?
2. Words have the power of Life and Death
3. My students are hearing with fresh ears
4. Profanity is the sign of a poor vocabulary
The thirsty will drink filth and young people are thirsty; i.e., people will settle for the mediocre or shock because they are unaware of the richness that surrounds them, from both the past and the present.
5. Joy is contagious
6. Negativity is contagious
7. I am a steward of ideas, not an owner
Not all my ideas are for me.
8. I teach people, not subjects
9. Learning is reciprocal
The floor in my classroom is level.
10. You never know what a day may bring forth...
and it is a Good day