Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Paradise Lost


"Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little."

Tom Stoppard


'Jesus Loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so...'

From the novel Say and Seal, Susan Warner, 1860



So, I wanted to find a reader's copy of Paradise Lost (hardcover that I could write in)...what better source than eBay. Eureka! I found a copy published by International Collector's Library, 1969. Mine was the winning bid, actually, the only bid. For $3.50 I purchased a mint, hardcover copy that contains not only Paradise Lost, but also Paradise Regained, and Samson Agonistes. It doesn't appear to have ever been opened. John Milton and I share the same birthday, well, a few years apart. He recently celebrated his 400th birthday party. I wonder if, as he penned Paradise Lost, he foresaw the impact his words would have? But then, I wonder if any of us consider the impact of our words?
Yesterday I was in line at WalMart. There are interesting people at WalMart. Opportunities for conversation abound there. I began a conversation with the man in front of me.
"That's alot of stuffed sausage!" I commented (probably 30 packages).
"Yes, but I'm not going to eat them all. In fact, come by at noon and you can help me eat them."
I thought about him the rest of the day. He was filled with joy. I wonder what he thinks of Paradise Lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment