Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Age of Wonder


We live in an age of Wonder. With a small device known as the iPod, I can listen to a lecture by Calvin Seerveld or music by Michael Card, while walking around a lake.
But, as fascinating as that may seem, nothing beats a good conversation. This weekend I had a good conversation with my son. We camped, we fished (well, we cast rubber worms into the lake), we ate...alot. Two teenage guys can put some food away. I let the boys plan the menu:
Breakfast
Eggs, Toast, Bacon (thick), Doughnuts, Orange Juice, Coffee
Lunch
Hot Dogs, Chips, Trail Mix, Salsa, Mountain Dew
Dinner
Steak (Marinated 24 Hours), Stuffed Baked Potatoes, Salad, Crusty Bread
and, of course, snack stuff.

After many words, and some laughter, I realised that moments like we were enjoying don't happen often enough. I realised my youngest son is not a little boy any longer. I realised the generational gap between us doesn't have to come between us. And, as I listened to my son share his thoughts, I remembered being a teenager.
Relationships are fragile. I have seen a few broken, some of which are credited to my account. Regret is a terrible companion. As the days speed by I am trying to work on the relationships I have left. In order to do that, I need to learn how to be a better listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment