Friday, February 5, 2016

A Protocol of Hope




We never know what a day will bring; our lives can change in a given moment. In July of last year a doctor discovered a malignant neoplasm in my lower intestine- cancer. He outlined a course of treatment and explained, "If you do not follow my protocol you will die." 

Thankfully, twenty-six years earlier, my wife and I decided that if we were to ever receive this statement from a doctor we would be prepared with a statement of our own- “We look to God for healing or passage Home with Him.” 

And that is what we did.

My protocol involved prayer and fasting:

–personal prayer for deliverance from strongholds and unforgiveness, as well as prayer coverage from family, friends, coworkers, and pastors

–fasting from food that was harmful (or unnecessary) replaced with good nutrition

One of our friends, a Naturopathic Doctor, navigated my diet. Another friend guided me through emotional issues that dealt with unforgiveness. The medical profession now links unforgiveness with illness. My pastors laid hands on and prayed for me. Almost daily someone told me they were praying for me and all the while I had peace in the faith that God is in control.

We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Our bodies want to be well. While there are factors beyond our control, there are steps we can take to agree with our body and its well being. 

The first step is to recognize and agree with the One Who made us, the One Who says, “Let us reason together. Are you telling Me what I can or cannot do?”

The next step is to recognize we are more than the sum of our parts. We are spiritual beings in physical bodies that operate with mental and emotional capabilities. When one area is unbalanced (or ill) the other areas suffer.

Someone said, “You are what you eat.” Jesus said, “It takes more than bread to stay alive. It takes a steady stream of words from God’s mouth.”

Recently I had my blood tested. The test results confirmed what my wife and I already knew to be true- the cancer is gone.

God is in control.
It’s a Good day.



N.B.  The word protocol comes from Old French, via Latin from Greek protokollon ‘first page’- protos (first) + kolla (glue). It is good for me to remember that God’s word is my protokollon.

1 comment:

  1. Amen my brother! God has us and we are eternal. Love you Mike Carter!

    ReplyDelete