Saturday, September 21, 2013

Jesus On Every Page




“The most really poetical impossibility is an irresistible force colliding with an immovable post. When that happens it will be the end of the world.”
G.K. Chesterton
The Uses of Diversity
1920

“These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”
Jesus
John 16:33


‘Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so...’

     Thus begins my all-time favorite song, the song I want played at my funeral, the song that encapsulates my theology. So, when I read the title of David Murray’s new book: Jesus On Every Page- 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament, I knew I had to read the book. I was not disappointed.

     David Murray’s writing style is a blend of pastoral counsel with professorial intelligence- two of the hats he wears as Pastor of Grand Rapids Free Reformed Church and Professor of Old Testament and Practical Theology at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary.

“The book of Proverbs is the Old Testament’s Twitter."

     Pastors enjoy alliteration and David Murray is no exception. Here is his breakdown of the Old Testament:

          Christ’s Planet
          Christ’s People
          Christ’s Presence
          Christ’s Precepts
          Christ’s Past
          Christ’s Prophets
          Christ’s Pictures
          Christ’s Promises
          Christ’s Proverbs
          Christ’s Poets

     Complete with a Study Guide, Jesus On Every Page is a valuable resource to Christ’s Pastors and Christ’s Parishioners (to continue the alliteration).


‘And beginning with Moses and all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.’
Luke 24:27
from a conversation between Jesus and two followers
 as they walked toward a village named Emmaus

No comments:

Post a Comment