Thursday, July 4, 2013

Money- God or Gift


"I like to think of the book as
Doctrine meets Dave Ramsey..."


Jamie Munson begins his book Money- God or Gift with a question-
 
What are you
afraid of?

     It is a good lead question for a discussion on money, and Jamie Munson's book provides a good discussion. 

     There is a plethora of books on financial matters and the Christian genre is no exception (my first read was a book by Larry Burkett many, many years ago). So why another book on the topic? Because every generation needs a voice for their time and Jamie Munson has the voice of today. As a young (everyone seems young to me these days) pastor-turned-businessman, Jamie Munson articulates matters of personal finance in an order and manner that anyone can follow, especially young people.

     This is a great book for study groups, book clubs, and even High School classes. The format is designed for a three-week study, complete with a budget template. If you are looking for a financial study guide, Money-God or Gift is excellent.
 
Jamie Munson

2 comments:

  1. One of the most helpful exercises I've found on the sticky relationship between money and faith came years ago from Church of the Savior in Washington DC--the suggestion to write a financial autobiography. This is a spiritual discipline of sorts where you nakedly review your relationship with money, stretching back even to conditions and familial attitudes from before you were born. For me, I came from wealthy parents, became a Christian, joined an intentional community, gave everything away, and found myself ver confused. I haven't read Jamie's book, but the leading question, "What are you afraid of?" is a great place to start. The angels always tell us not to be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a financial autobiography. I grew up middle class, became a teacher, lost worldly possessions, discovered less really can be more.

    ReplyDelete