Thursday, June 20, 2013

I don't read anymore.

     "I don't read anymore. I don't read any less, either!"
I know it is a new spin on an old joke... but it's still true. I read. My list is eclectic. Currently my stacks include (in a variety of 'stations' around our home):

by Tracy Kidder

compiled by St Nikodimos and St Makarios

by Dave Boling

by Daniel H. Pink

by Brian Greene

Edited by Arlin C. Migliazzo


     The titles have a random appearance but follow a hidden thread... they are part of my 'need to know'. Two books I recently finished are Closer Still by Scott Evans and Clean by Douglas Weiss.




Closer Still
by Scott Evans

     Closer Still by Scott Evans is what happens when a young, Irish youth pastor speaks openly. His  zeal, passion, and frustration with the status quo of Christianity today (and the misconceptions in and surrounding it) are compelling. I don't agree with everything Scott writes but I do agree with this heartcry-

"May you have the faith to believe that you are made in the image of God and that the Cross tells you that you are worth dying for."





Clean
by Douglas Weiss, PhD


     Clean by Douglas Weiss is a book for men. Period. This book is a must-read for men who struggle with sexual integrity and for men who don't: both will be challenged and encouraged. Dr. Weiss is the executive director of Heart to Heart Counseling Center in Colorado Springs and the president of the American Association for Sex Addiction. Dr. Weiss is also a former sex addict, and, as one who has overcome the issue, his words carry weight. Men- read this book!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment