Sunday, October 2, 2011

Black and White

The Way Home
Michael Carter
"We never really know enough until we recognize that God alone knows it all."
I Corinthians 8:2,3
The Message


Reading Fast-Day 14. Sunday.
Yesterday I read this note from the margin of my Bible-

'The Baal Shem Tov taught that every person is allotted a given number of words during his life. When he has used up his quota, he dies. Thus, by guarding his tongue, one assures himself of greater longevity.'

The writer of Proverbs put it this way, "Words kill and words give life. You choose.

We don't fully know the personal importance of anything until we choose to avoid it. For 14 days I have chosen to avoid the reading of books and I am wrestling with my restlessness. Ink on paper; 'agreed upon' vertical and horizontal strokes we call letters shape meanings that direct our thoughts. Is it really that black and white? The gestalt of a book astounds me.


This morning I read:
"The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one shepherd. But beyond this, my son, be warned: The writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body." Eccl. 12:11,12. (italics mine)


In the margin, after this passage, I had written this quote:
"You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You."
Augustine, Confessions




A song from Steve Earle

1 comment:

  1. Good words indeed, Mike. I appreciated the scripture as it reminds me that there activities that we can engage in that may not be sin, but are not beneficial to our bodies or our spirit. Good song as well, very Dylanesque.

    ReplyDelete