Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Taking off Shoes

"Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God; and only he who sees takes off his shoes; the rest sit around it and pluck blackberries."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Last night I decided I would stay home today. A 3-day head cold had peaked. But, this morning I felt better and I went to work. As I was driving in, contemplating the difference one day makes, the Spirit of God said, "Don't make tomorrow decisions based on today circumstances" (a variation on Matthew 6:34).

Being teachable is hard. Being teachable while teaching is harder. But, this week while teaching, I learned something; this week I remembered something (maybe learning is a form of remembering)- we all want to be heard. From the hungry babe to the elderly parent, our voice goes out. The word therapy comes from the greek word- therapeia, which means 'to be attentive to'. May I see with my ears as I remove my shoes.

"L'art c'est un combat- dans l'art il faut y mettre sa peau."
(Art is a battle- it costs one the skin off one's back)
Millett

No comments:

Post a Comment