Wednesday, October 28, 2009

gestalt



Random thoughts regarding value keep showing up. I just read that the monetary value of the elements found in the average human has been placed at $4.50 (depending on the daily market). Obviously, the
intrinsic value of a human being is of infinite worth. Years ago I read a story about an artist who kept one of his own paintings hanging above his drawing board. One day a man came to his studio and, after looking around, asked, "How much for that one?" He was pointing to the painting above the drawing board. "It's not for sale." The man, quite wealthy, pulled out his checkbook and said, "You
don't understand, just name the price and I will pay it." The artist smiled as he looked at the painting and said, "No, you don't understand. That painting makes me happy. It keeps me going. It is not for sale, at any price."

One of the joys of a teacher is watching students grow into their potential. My students keep me going. They keep me humble. Here's a lesson I learned last week- learning is based on receptivity. My receptivity, my willingness to receive is directly related to whether the lesson offends me, and, the level of offense.

Last week, one of my students looked me in the eye and said, "I liked my old art teacher better." How do you respond to
that? I said, "O.K." Later, that same week, a parent let me know that one of my lesson choices was wrong and offered a 'better' alternative. In both instances I immediately took offense. For days I chewed on their words and came to this conclusion- taking offense is a choice, a cognitive reaction that is possible to overrule. In a moment of time I can delay my response or remain silent- an aspect of "taking every thought captive." Then I can learn from someone's comment (or opinion). Who knows? Maybe God is trying to teach me how to teach.





"I know, O LORD, that a man's way is not in himself; nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps. Correct me, O LORD, but with justice; not with Thine anger, lest Thou bring me to nothing."
Jeremiah 10:23,24

No comments:

Post a Comment