Saturday, August 15, 2009


Latent image \lā-tənt\ \ˈi-mij\ 

an invisible image, produced on a sensitized emulsion by exposure to light, that will emerge in development.


“Because God is outside the realm of time He can Kingdomize your past.”

John Cava

‘When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I argued like a child…’

I Corinthians 13:11 Moffatt


There is on my right forefinger a small scar. You would have to look closely to see it. I have other, more impressive scars.

Forehead- Montgomery Bell State Park, Church Camp

Forearm- Camp Boxwell, Boy Scouts of America

Scars happen, especially to boys. Each has a story; some are interesting, some gross, and some- just plain old dumb. The scar on my finger is the result of rebellion. Sin leaves scars. In my Junior year of High School I was handed my report card- a couple of D’s, one or two F’s. What would I say to my parents? A friend of mine had the same dilemma. One of us said, “Let’s run away!” It seemed like a good idea at the time. And that’s what we did. For me it would be the second time. He had a car and, between us, we had a few dollars. We headed south. When the car ran out of gas we left it on the side of the road. It was dark, somewhere in Mississippi, when it happened. We were walking down a two-lane road. Behind us we heard a car and stuck our thumbs out, hoping to hitch a ride. As the car passed I felt a pain across my knuckles. When I pulled my hand back I could see by the moonlight that my fingers were bleeding. The car antenna had rapped my fingers like a whip.

Now I have children. Now I understand why my parents wanted to know where I was, who I was with, what time I would be home, and why they were so upset when lied to. Now I grieve over the anxiety and pain I caused them. They were doing their utmost to be godly parents. They never did anything to deserve a prodigal son. I praise God for their patience, and their prayers. We who claim the name of Christ are, somewhat, like latent images. “At present we only see baffling reflections in a mirror, but then it will be face to face; at present I am learning bit by bit, but then I shall understand, as all along I myself have been understood. Thus, ‘faith and hope and love last on, these three,’ but the greatest of all is love.” And so, like the prodigal in Luke, chapter15, I say to my Pop, “I have sinned against heaven and against you. Forgive me.”


No comments:

Post a Comment