Monday, March 9, 2009

On Being


"Just because something is technically legal doesn't mean that it's spiritually appropriate. If I went around doing whatever I thought I could get by with, I'd be a slave to my whims." from a letter to a church in Corinth, 1st century AD, The Message.

Saturday I went hiking with my son, Sam, and his youth group. Actually, they allowed me to drag along. Brian, the youth leader, told me it was a twenty-minute hike to the top of Crowder's Mountain. He didn't tell me it was straight up. I thought I was going to die. No one else even seemed winded. Two minutes into the hike I realised I am pathetically out of shape. By the time we reached the top I had made several vows, among which included a change of diet and exercise. Two days later, while still sore, I haven't changed my mind.

In my Senior year of High School I ran two miles daily. I weighed 145 lbs. That was 35 years ago. Now my weight is, well, more than 145. I can't run 100 yards without some problems. This, of course, didn't happen overnight. While taking spiritual inventory this morning, I was looking over my notes from Robin McMillan's sermon yesterday. Reflecting on Paul's words regarding our bodies, my gaze stopped at this quote from Robin- "The hidden things affect the visible things." Things we do in secret will eventually become known. The spiritual affects the physical. Because change is gradual, at times even imperceptible, we're usually not aware of problem issues until they are a problem. Habits form over time. While some habits are bad, some are good. Last week my wife and I began taking Communion together, daily. The result has been amazing.

So today begins a new start. Hopefully a few good habits will follow. I have another hike planned with my son next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment