Friday, August 2, 2013

Recent Reads

Truth is heavy,
therefore few care to carry it.
The Talmud



     Sometimes truth is too simple... it requires a heart that is willing to pause and consider. So, when I noticed a new book on writing my first thought was, "...another one?" Then I read the subtitle- Understanding the Passion That Leads to Meaningful Writing. Hmm- meaningful writing. I read the book quickly, in one sitting. I chewed on it the rest of the day. Then I read it again.

     Goethe said, "Everything has been thought of before, but the difficulty is to think of it again." He was, of course, paraphrasing Solomon's words spoken thousands of years earlier. Missionary Writing by Jeff Calloway is a reminder that words have meaning, words change lives, and Jeff Calloway outlines a course of action for the writer who has been called (he explains being called) to write. For me, the beauty of Missionary Writing is Jeff Calloway's succinct style; he doesn't belabor a point, he begins a conversation. If you are called to write, read Missionary Writing.  

 
"For a missionary, a call that doesn't require action is not a call at all. When God calls a missionary, He expects an answer."
Jeff Calloway





     Truth is immutable, and in the house where I grew up, a few other things were immutable as well: church was on Sundays and Wednesdays, dinner was on the table at 5 PM, and the television was tuned to Billy Graham's Crusades, regardless of the night. The name Billy Graham is synonymous with evangelist; I cannot imagine our world without him... 

     At 92 years of age, Billy Graham has written another book- Nearing Home; Life, Faith, and Finishing Well. Nearing Home is written by a man who has walked closely with God in this chapter of life; a man who wants to share a few final thoughts before continuing his walk in the next chapter.

     Billy Graham's life is a picture of Life, Faith, and Finishing Well.   

"Growing old has been the greatest surprise of my life. I would never have guessed what God had in store for me, and I know that as I am nearing home, He will not forsake me the last mile of the way."
Billy Graham

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Michael for the great review of Missionary Writing. I look forward to following your blog.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete