Saturday, February 11, 2012

Grateful for Solitude

     Life is best lived in the present. Today I fixed a toilet, outlined a book proposal, read a few articles, cleaned and filled Harry's litter box, watched a film clip of Monet painting and listened to a Patsy Cline album. My wife and daughter were out and about, having a Mother-Daughter day. My son was out with friends. Today was, for me and Harry the cat, a day of solitude. And I am grateful. Picasso said, "Without great solitude, no serious work is possible."


     The correct answer to a difficult math problem is a thing of beauty, even to those of us who aren't aware of what we are seeing. But few care to see the process; the pages of formulas, mistakes, numbers... and, so it is with art. Much of the process requires solitude. Countless hours spent with pencil and paper, palette and brush; the artist's due diligence, seen by none but God. R.O. Blechman put it this way,


     "...my trash basket is full of false starts and failed beginnings. Only after much work does a drawing become right."
Dear James, Letters to a Young Illustrator

    
 Today, as I was afforded time to make a few things right, I remembered that life is lived while fixing toilets and cleaning litter boxes. A good day. Here is an amazing video that also reminds me 'It's a Good day.'




And, here is Monet in his garden-


No comments:

Post a Comment