Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Wall

Plan for Art Room Mural


"How do I know what I think
'till I see what I say?"

E.M. Forster

"...there is nothing new under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 1:9

And so it begins, a new project for the Art Room; it is, to date, the most ambitious I have been a part of. The students will paint a mural around the entire room- 2 feet in height around the upper perimeter of the entire room- a visual time-line of art history, 136 linear feet in length. Beginning with cave paintings, the mural will progress through the ages by featuring one work indicative of each era, coming full circle into the 21st Century with graffiti art. Early man painted on walls, and today, men paint on walls.
There really is nothing new under the sun.



Sam working on the drawing

Students will stand on scaffolding and work shoulder-to-shoulder. The project may take a couple of years, depending on the students (I am selecting the images-I want the students to produce the mural). The goal is to one day have a student stand in the middle of the room and experience thousands of years with their eyes.



Proposed Images- Wall #1


Progress reports will follow from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment