Tuesday, July 7, 2009


Shall the thing made say to the Maker,
"Why did you make me this way?"
Romans 9:20

"It is true that all men are created in the image of God, but Christians are supposed to be conscious of that fact, and being conscious of it should recognize the importance of living artistically, aesthetically, and creatively as creative creatures of the Creator. If we have been created in the image of an Artist, then we should look for expressions of artistry, and be sensitive to beauty, responsive to what has been created for our appreciation." Edith Schaeffer, Hidden Art




A large portion of my life has been in pursuit of all that I am not, but wish to be. One day it occurred to me, what if I pursued, and wrestled with, an understanding of what I am? What would a 100% Michael Carter look like? A creative God made me in a particular way because He had specific plans and purposes for me.
We just returned from upstate New York. For ten days we were surrounded by the glory of God known as the Adirondacks, a trip made possible by two families- the Hopkins and the Knechts. These families are starting a school, Augustine Classical Academy, and invited us to pray about becoming a part of the school faculty and family. After much prayer, conversation, more prayer, and walking the ground in a new place it has become evident that God has different plans for my family and me. But, the trip was a blessing, a gift from the Hopkins, the Knechts, and the Lord.


Former home of Kurt Vonnegut
Alplaus, NY


While there, we saw Kurt Vonnegut's former home, we explored downtown Saratoga Springs, home to Caffe Lena, America's oldest coffeehouse (where Bob Dylan was a regular and Don McLean played American Pie for the first time in public). We experienced Lake George, where we hiked Black Mountain and canoed to a few of the islands. We even spent a day in Vermont. Even now, back in South Carolina, memories flood and I thank God for allowing our lives to cross paths.
Now another chapter begins.
Benchmark
Black Mountain summit






Emma and me atop Black Mountain

Lake George, NY





Sam
Caffe Lena, Saratoga Springs, NY


'Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.'
I Thessalonians 5:11



1 comment:

  1. So are you moving? How long will you still be in SC? I have hoped that we would be able to stop on our way to or from Charlie's parents in VA so you could meet all 3 of my answered prayers

    ReplyDelete