Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nutrition Facts, generic toaster pastry



All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door. Albert Camus




This low-carb diet I attempt stinks. Lurking within one packet of snack crackers is my daily allotment of carbs. I could eat a wagon full of those packets, in one sitting. Don't even look at the amount in a toaster pastry (see above). The good news-pork rinds have NO carbs. I can eat the whole bag. But, I have to begin somewhere. So, I am working on a children's book. It doesn't have anything to do with carbs or pork rinds but it occupies my mind. The story is a retelling of an old story. Someone once told me, "If you want to find concise, understandable language, look in children's books." It is difficult to press truth into a small package. Maybe that's why some preachers talk so long. And, maybe that's why stories are so effective. Scripture says that Jesus didn't teach without telling a story (parable). So, I have the story. The illustrations are the next challenge. Watercolor is a favorite medium, but I am noodling around with mixed media/digital/chalkboard drawings. Hmm. No shortage of ideas.










1 comment:

  1. Spend more time on the book than the dubious diet and I'll wager you can forget the diet.

    ReplyDelete