Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Letters in Chalk

Something is changing in classrooms across America, chalk is disappearing. Whiteboards have replaced Blackboards, and now, something called SMART Board is emerging. I like chalk. I like the feel of the dust on my fingers. I like the fact that chalk comes from the ground, as did Adam. In the early classrooms of America there was chalk. Something else is changing in classrooms- goals and objectives. If you recently graduated from a High School in America, or know someone who has, consider the following quiz:
1. Identify, by name, five living things found in nature.
2. Translate the following into Latin, French and Greek- “I am a student of life.”
3. Locate the North Star in a night sky.
4. Recite a poem from memory.
5. Recite the Ten Commandments.
As the Information Age becomes the Technology Age, Americans look to the gadgetry of the day to ‘make life better.’ Just give me chalk and a blackboard.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I feel as though we are losing all of our organic ways of learning and replacing them with Mac computers or the like. I see more and more disconnect from what is natural everyday. It's tragic.

    ReplyDelete